【Excerpts of an article written by HSIAO JOU CHEN (陳筱柔), graduate student of the Institute of Health Policy and Management (HPM), National Taiwan University (NTU)】
Teachers and students took a photo in front of Jiangnan Health and Culture Village.
On 13~18 Jan 2019, Prof. Kuo-Piao Chung (the director of HPM), Prof. Ming-Chin Yang, and Prof. Ray-E Chang led the students in the Institute of Health Policy and Management (including doctoral, graduate, and EMBA) to travel to Hangzhou, Wuzeng and Nanjing in China. We visited the Jiangnan Health and Culture Village, Fuchun Resort, Ali Health, DingXiangYuan (DXY), Wuzhen Internet Hospital, and Nanjing BenQ Medical Center.
During the lecture before the visit, Prof. Ray-E Chang categorized the visit institutes into three fields, which were 【Policy development and market introduction of the senior care industry in China】, 【The experience and lesson learned from Taiwanese team of health institute and healthcare management in China】, 【The experience and lesson of policy development on the internet and medicine in China】, respectively. Students were asked to do some research and discussion to get more understanding about the background and environment of the institutes, aiming to be able to make a connection between theory and practice during the visit.
By means of this visit, we’ve not only observed the development of medical and care industry in China, but also we had a chance to understand their weakness and in addition recognize our strength and value in this field. In summary, we gained so much from this visit.
Brief summary of the observation
- China is an ambitious country, rapidly trying to develop new industry; however, in the field of elderly care and medicine, it still needs deeper exploration for actual quality and the supply of human resources.
- Through the visit, we felt that the weakness of the Jiangnan Health and Culture Village included:
- Their target population was not clear.
- Their management of those organizations was lack of the mechanism to ensure outcomes and quality.
- The environment of industry in China is repeatedly “try and error” in a short time, to find out the most suitable model for business development and industrial regulation, which might be the reason that the industry in China could be prosperous all the time.
The officer of the Wuzhen Internet Hospital (left) introduced the characteristics and business model to the teachers and students.
The director of HPM, Prof. Kuo-Piao Chung, Prof. Ming-Chin Yang, and Prof. Ray-E Chang gave the souvenir of College of Public Health to the officer of Ali Health.
Professors in NTUHPM communicated with the officer of Jiangnan Health and Culture Village.
All teachers and students took a photo with the manager of DXY.